We receive compliments on these Banana Cream Cheese Muffins every time we serve them, so I was recently inspired by a guest to include it as this month’s recipe. The original recipe for Banana Bread was graciously given to me from Donna, the previous owner, and I understand it came from her Mom, “Nanna”. We modified it a bit by turning it into a muffin recipe, and added the cream cheese, which is baked right into the muffin. Mmmmmm – another perfect pairing – banana muffin and cream cheese.
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3 over ripe bananas, mashed (the blacker the bananas the more flavorful the
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 12 cubes of cream cheese – about ½ inch in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and grease muffin tin with butter.
- Cream together the sugar and butter; add eggs and bananas and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, soda and salt; add to butter mixture and mix just until blended.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups, until about 2/3 full.
- Place a cube of cream cheese on top of batter, pushing it into batter about half way.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.