by Elizabeth Newcomer, Innkeeper
Our garden cucumbers are so plentiful right now and I’m looking for new and creative ways to use them in my cooking. I’ve shared how important it is to me to keep my kitchen cool during the summer heat and this recipe for Green Gazpacho using Cucumber & Avocado is perfect as the only “cooking” required is chopping and blending! This recipe also appeals to me because it is so healthy! Using fresh ingredients and focusing on seasoning with flavorful spices like red chili flakes and white balsamic vinegar create a wonderful depth of flavor without having to add calories. The refreshing cucumber and creamy avocado make this cold soup smooth and delightfully filling.
I decided to replace the radishes with chioggia beets from the garden! They make for such a pretty garnish! Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ ripe medium avocado, cut into chunks
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 5 medium radishes, peeled to remove red skin, chop 4 radishes, thinly slice
- 1 radish and reserve slices for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts, coarsely chopped microgreens (for garnish; optional)
- Place oil, water, vinegar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if desired), avocado, and cucumbers in blender in 2 batches, if necessary; cover. Blend until almost smooth.
- Add shallot, garlic, and 4 chopped radishes. Blend until smooth.
- Serve each portion garnished with pine nuts, microgreens, and sliced radishes.