by Elizabeth Newcomer, Innkeeper
Today marks the official one month anniversary of my time as the innkeeper at Brewster by the Sea Inn and it is only fitting that today we kicked off the expanded afternoon repast! What a success! Guests from both Brewster by the Sea and Captain Freeman Inn joined in the fun sampling the savory polenta/mushroom squares, the artisan cheeseboard & the coconut lime shortbread cookies. Donna and I especially enjoyed the opportunity to visit with guests from both properties as they sipped from their complimentary glasses of wine and cucumber mint infused water.
The cookies were fabulous and super easy so I want to share the recipe below – Enjoy!
- ½ cup shredded coconut, toasted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into 1-tablespoon pieces
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- In a food processor, combine sugar, lime zest and vanilla extract. Pulse until coconut is finely chopped. Add flour, and pulse until combined. Gradually add in the butter pieces and pulse until the mixture is smooth and combined. (The dough will appear fairly dry.)
- Transfer to a very large bowl, and knead dough until smooth. Shape dough into a ball, then divide in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the dough portions to about ¼-inch thick. Using your desired cookie cutters, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dough on a second cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or just until bottoms start to brown. Transfer cookies to wire rack, and let cool to room temperature.
- Drizzle each cookie with lime glaze, adding extra lime zest on top if desired.
- To make the glaze: in a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, lime peel, and lime juice until combined. Add in the two or three tablespoons of water, and whisk until it reaches a good consistency for spreading.