As innkeepers, we LOVE to regularly check out the fine dining restaurants close by to our two Cape Cod Inns, Brewster by the Sea and Captain Freeman. We are so fortunate to have so many acclaimed chefs creating wonderful, fresh and innovative cuisines using the plentiful fresh seafood, shellfish and fresh produce found on this beautiful peninsula, called Cape Cod. Listed below in no particular order are our favorites along with our brief critique of their cuisine:
1.Buca’s Tuscan Roadhouse is one of our favorite restaurants! When making reservations for our guests we always try to reserve our favorite table (we like to call it the “BBTS table”) that is right by the fire- very romantic and private! The cuisine here is top notch and always includes fresh local seafood and wonderful meats. One of our favorite dishes is their Vitello Rosa which is veal in a red wine reduction sauce with sun dried cherries…mmnnn! Their Bruschetta is also to die for. Buca’s is open 7 days a week, year round.
2. Brewster Fish House– We always preface our summary when helping guests make their dining choices “in the summer high season patrons of this Fish House will wait over 2 hours for a meal”. Fresh, artful food that is always innovative- mostly seafood with maybe one chicken, one beef and one vegetarian entree included in the menu.
3. Mediterranean fare at Abba restaurant in Orleans is both adventuresome and creative. They boast a Thai infusion and their food continues to amaze us. Signature dishes include Lobster Pad Thai and Duck Breast with Gnocchi and Broccolini in a Sate Sauce.
4. Fin- Chef Martha was the chef at the Brewster Fish House for many years. She has created a similar experience at her new restaurant in Dennis. Mostly seafood in a sophisticated environment.
5. Naked Oyster in Hyannis is the perfect place to go for a fresh oyster bar experience. Their martinis are also to die for.
6. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Mahoney’s in Orleans. The menu is very broad, always fresh and creative and the restaurant is casual yet still an upscale pub experience.
7. Chillingsworth is just up the street from the Captain Freeman and is an acclaimed 5 star french restaurant. We like dining in the formal dining room for their 5 course meal when we are celebrating a special occasion. It’s all about the food experience and the food really is delicious and appreciated more when savored and spread out over a couple of hours. Just talking about it makes me want to have a birthday or anniversary earlier then scheduled!
8. Bramble Inn– Ruth and Cliff have been innkeepers and restaurant owners for many years and their experience shows. They have both formal menus and bar bites which are great for a lighter meal.
9. 28 Atlantic at Wequassett is the formal restaurant at the high end resort, Wequassett. Many of the tables have water views and the food is beautifully presented. The chef is very particular about finding local, organic ingredients and it shows! Every bite is an explosion of flavor. I especially liked the dessert which was a creme brûlée medley sampling.
10. Ocean House is a very popular, reasonably priced restaurant that has beautiful views of the Atlantic. In this case the food is as good as the views!
11. Road House in Hyannis is the place we go whenever we are craving good food along with some fun entertainment. They know just how to grill a great steak and the jazz is usually a happy ending to a great meal.